Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Waxing a Tarantula

(Could not put a spider on here....ew!)


About a month ago I had to take a CPR/ First Aid class to update my cards, it was a very long day and each class is scheduled to take about 2 to 3 hours. Well I was almost done with the First Aid class, it was about 8pm and we were at the end of the book and talking about insect stings and bites. Here is how this little episode I had went......

Instructor: Tarantulas actually don't bite as their form of defense, they have thousands of tiny little hairs on their backs that will come off if you touch them......

Now, have you ever kind of checked out of a conversation before, your brain kind of just wanders and your there but not really? Well she continued to talk about these tiny little hairs and my brain did just that check out....and here is where I come back into the lesson.....

Instructor: .....So just put a thin layer of Elmers glue on it and just let it dry. Then simply peel off the hair!

I scrunch my eye brows in complete concentration, trying to figure out just what she could possibly mean! Looking around, trying to understand why no one else had asked the obvious question. I raise my hand......

The Idiot: So (pause) So the spider just stays still while you put glue on it???

Instructor: I'm sorry?

The Idiot: Ummm......(light coming on) Crap...never mind I get it...I had something completely different in my                              head!!!

Instructor: (Laughing) Oh I so want to see you what you just pictured in your head!!!

Now I know, after much humiliation that you do NOT in fact wax a tarantula with Elmers glue......if by chance you ever happen to get a hair from their back on your OWN skin you simply apply some glue, let it dry and peel off the hair!!!

By the way, it took me two weeks to even get up the courage to tell this story to my husband.....I know I know where's my sign?

2 comments:

Megan said...

And that is one of the many reasons why I LOVE having you as my sister! I am so glad you posted this....makes me smile every time I think about it. I am sure the instructor smiles every time she teaches this part of her class now!

Elena said...

We all have embarrassing moments. This just shows you are normal. Love and miss you guys!