Thursday, October 4, 2012

Night Time Terror

Hailee has been having a hard time with her night time routine. She is very much a child that has to stick with a routine to the T. A lot of the time she uses her routine as a delay tactic....drives me crazy! But we get through it and some nights are better than others. Well...last night was NOT one of the better nights.

She has some ponies that "sleep" on her toy chest in her room, they are wrapped up in a blanket and ususally don't leave that spot. Well she had added a little ducky she had (we had used it to bribe her into the bath tub) and she wanted to put it night night too. Rich and I were both sitting on floor where we have prayer every night. So after she tucked the little ducky in I told her ok lets have prayer....well then she needed to sing them all to sleep. Ok so we let her sing. Her song of choice is ALWAYS twinkle twinkle little star...except for some reason now she can't figure out when to STOP the song. She just keeps going. So we told her "ok all done! Good girl!" She proceeds to throw a fit saying she needs to finish the song. Who knows how long that could go on. So we move on to saying no and that its time for prayer. We were getting no where with that so I told her I was just going to say the prayer, and I did. At this point her "routine" was thrown off and I knew there was really no coming back because she was still upset about finishing her song to her babies. So! Rich gives her a kiss and leaves and I tell ok its time for bed then. She is quite upset by now. We turn on the noise maker, shut the door and turn off the light as usual (she always helps me) but she is whimpering/crying while doing it. We sit down in the rocking chair and then the real crying begins. I tell her if she doesn't stop that I will just put her in crib and leave...she tells me she wants "bear" which means her book Brown Bear. I told her no and that she didn't listen and that she doesn't get the book tonight... OK now doing this to a child that is all about doing things in order and routine this did NOT settle well with her. She starts to scream. I stand up, stick her in her crib...and walk out. That is when the demon child arrived and was not just screaming...I can't even describe her tone. It was not good.

I went back into her room and asked her if she would like me to sing to her and rock her. She says "no, bear". So I leave again and she proceeds to scream more. This happens 4-5 times. So I know at this point I need to do something else. SOO I go in and tell her I can either rock you and sing to you OR I take all your stuff away (meaning her things in her crib) she tells me the same thing she has been saying so I start taking everything out of her bed. THIS did not please her. I had almost taken everything and she was clutching onto her little baby she has in there and I had to rip it out of her hands...soo sad. I then start to walk away and she is losing it. So I ask her again...no answer. I get right next to her and ask her another time and I feel her head bob up and down. So I finally get her to sit down with me and rock in the chair. And by the end of that she was fine and she slept just fine. WHEW! We are seriously working on some obedience and listening to Mommy and Daddy. I just don't know how to break her of her....sometimes OCD tendencies. We are still learning as parents and  how to teach her these things. I am glad to have my happy baby back this morning that is for sure.

0 comments: